Linux System Administrator
|05/2007 - Present
Level 3 System Administrator for a leading technically-focused web hosting company.
- Telephone and ticket support for customer's advanced technical issues
- Training and supervision of junior administrators
- Rack and provision new servers in the data center
- Develop infrastructure scripts and procedures for process automation
- Moderate public support forums, knowledgebase and wiki
- Create OpenVZ VPS templates
Environment:CentOS, Apache, PHP, Ruby/Rails, Python, MySQL, PostgreSQL, cPanel/WHM, ASSP, SpamAssassin/MailScanner, SSH, BIND, Shell Scripting (Perl, bash), HyperVM/OpenVZ, cfengine, Kayako eSupport, ModernBill
Independent Technology Consultant
04/2004 - Present
3 years 1 month
Based in mid-Michigan (Chelsea, Ann Arbor), deliver a wide range of web application development (PHP/MySQL), web hosting, Perl
development, shell scripting and Linux network and systems administration services for companies including:
National Federation of the Blind,
XETV Fox 6 San Diego,
and The Inner Bailey Leathersmith.
- Perform infrastructure security audits and implement patches
- Train users in LAMP server setup (see http://lamphowto.com)
Major project: XETV Fox 6 San Diego
- Designed, coded and deployed a LAMP-based viewer loyalty application/game with complete CMS administrative "back end." 80K+ players use the application.
Environment: Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL, qmail, CVS, BIND, SSH, Mailman, Shell Scripting (Perl, bash), Python
Senior Systems Engineer
|03/2003 - 04/2004
1 year 2 months
|Major Clients: GE Access, Corporate Express, SAIC, ChevronTexaco|
|Provided pre-sales technical support for 5 national account
executives selling Java-based software to link handheld mobile devices to
Windows and UNIX-based network back-ends (Oracle, Exchange, CRM). As sole
sales engineer, conducted customer presentations (administrators to C-level
executives), product demonstrations, trade show demos, training, responded
to RFPs and provided technical product expertise to add value to the
selling/closing process. Heavy national travel.
- Installed proof-of-concept systems and trained/supported end-users.
- Managed full lifecycle implementation projects.
- Built Java applications from customer specifications, and set up/loaded software on pilot test servers.
- Successfully solved complex technical problems that had defied earlier attempts at resolution.
- Only engineer with UNIX experience, performed all Linux and Solaris system troubleshooting and
QA. Built the first install program for Linux and Solaris.
|Environment: Red Hat Linux, Solaris, Windows XP/2000, Java,
802.11 Wireless Networking, Oracle, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Shell Scripting (Perl/bash)|
Independent Systems Consultant
|11/2002 - 03/2003
|Delivered a wide range of Perl development, shell scripting and Sun/UNIX/Linux
network and systems administration services for companies including Pacific Analytical, Inc.,
Qubux, and ComTel Hawaii.
- Set up Linux-based Web servers and email servers, conducted
security audits, upgraded software and installed patches.
- Produced instruction manuals/procedures for various Linux-based software and systems.
|Environment: Linux, Sun Cobalt, Apache, Sendmail, qmail, BIND, SSH,
Mailman, Shell Scripting (Perl, bash), Python|
|Sun Microsystems/Cobalt Networks
|03/2000 - 11/2002
2 years 9 months
|Major Clients: Yahoo!, Disney, Comcast, AT&T, Verizon and many
smaller ISPs and customers in the Southwest|
|Provided Linux and UNIX technical expertise supporting
regional server pre/post-sales initiatives and national accounts with no
internal Linux resources. Mentored other SEs on Linux technology. Heavy national travel.
- Produced and presented product presentations, demos and training for potential customers.
- Collaborated with customer technical resources in security issues, product
customization, integration planning and support efforts.
- Moderated public support forum for all Sun Cobalt products.
- Sole administrator of the public mailing lists for the Cobalt products,
responding to user questions and providing How-To documents that fell
outside the normal range of Sun support.
- As on-site Cobalt rep for Yahoo!, successfully completed 30 server
software upgrades in one week, minimizing downtime.
- Achieved 125% of $450K quota for the 3rd and 4th quarters, Y2K.
- Received special recognition for organizing and conducting region-wide
training of nearly 100 engineers and sales executives in 2 months.
- Survived multiple layoffs as SE staff downsized from 10 to 3.
|Environment: Red Hat Linux, Solaris, Apache,
Sendmail, BIND, DHCP, FTP, SSH, Firewall software (ipchains/iptables),
StarOffice Writer, Calc, Impress (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)|
|10/1997 - 02/2000
2 years 5 months
|Effectively administered UNIX, Linux and AIX server environment
(hardware, OS and software). Implemented and supported a 40-node Windows/Linux/Mac
LAN and maintained a 10-store nationwide POS system for this $5 million clothing
manufacturer. Supervised 2 COBOL programmers and 1 system operator.
- Coordinated departmental programming requests, managed all IT
spending and controlled a $50,000 annual budget.
- Led the desktop migration from Windows to Linux.
- Planned and built an entire enterprise network, taking company out of
paper-based systems environment and dramatically increasing
productivity across all departments.
- Constructed a Linux-powered e-commerce Website, fully integrated with a
legacy catalog order system, generating an additional $10K per week
to the company's income.
|Environment: IBM RS/6000 with AIX 4.3.2,
Red Hat and Debian Linux, Windows NT/98/95, Apache, qmail, Word, Excel|
|United States Navy
Gas Turbine Systems Technician/
Petty Officer First Class
|05/1991 - 04/1997
- Honorably discharged. Awarded the Good Conduct Medal and 3 Navy Achievement Medals.
|Environment: Windows 95/3.11, Excel, Word, Access|
|Bloom-Baker Life Insurance
Novell Network Administrator
|11/1989 - 03/1991
1 year 5 months
Computer Lab Helpdesk Specialist
|10/1987 - 01/1990
2 years 4 months